Shaping Up To Quarantine: Influencers help others stay active from home

During the COVID-19 pandemic, people went through a sort of awakening. Amidst the chaos and external panic, self-care became a priority; and what better way to show your body you care than maintaining its health through being active? The past year saw the rise and fall of many trends, but lasting are the results of content creators who share their routines through social media. These “At-Home” workout videos can be found throughout YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok, platforms that exercise influencers, like Cassey Ho, and celebrities, like Chris Hemsworth, use to share their secrets with the world.

Ho is a social media fitness entrepreneur and creator of Blogilates, a successful fitness app and YouTube channel. Through her content and pilates classes, Ho inspires her viewers to break through their limits and push themselves to reach their fitness goals. Her app Body by Blogilates, available in the Apple and Google Play store, is free to download and offers dozens of videos organized to meet your needs. It keeps track of what videos you watch and complete, offers access to some challenges, and keeps track of your activity percentage. The app’s full experience, which includes access to the monthly workout calendar and unlocks all the challenges, can be accessed through either a monthly plan of $3.99 or a yearly plan of $39.99. Her YouTube channel more or less includes the same content, offering 15 playlists worth of videos, organized by subject. Ho also has a fitness apparel line with Target, where you can buy, besides workout outfits, cute equipment such as weights and yoga mats.

Likewise, Hemsworth first released his workout app Centr in 2019 and offered a six-week free trial at the beginning of this year. The app is free to download but requires a subscription to access the contents of the app. It offers a 7-day free trial, after which you are presented with three plans: $10 a month for 12 months, $20 a month for 3 months, or an individual payment of $29.99 a month. The app covers anything fitness, offering workout videos covering HIIT (High-intensity interval training), Pilates, boxing, yoga, gym, and strength, among other things. The app also offers meditation guidance and adjusted meal plans, which offer regular, vegetarian, vegan, and pescatarian options. It also includes a shopping list for ingredients needed to maintain a healthy diet, as well as a fitness planner. But for those who would rather save up, Centr also has a YouTube channel that briefly covers a general idea of the app´s contents. 

Workout apps offer a safe, at-home fitness experience that adjusts to our modern-day limitations, or can be adapted by introverts too shy to hit the gym. Apps can be found by simply searching the word “Fitness” on the app store or YouTube bar, and influencers offer the motivation needed to push yourself a little further.