10 Question with Jenny Dang

Everlasting Memory. Dang visited Vancouver, Canada as part of her vacation. This was part of the exhibit Dang was viewing. “This is from my summer vacation to Vancouver Canada.”

Jenny Dang is a Senior

Question: What’s one thing you’re passionate about that you could talk about for hours?

Answer: It might seem self-centered, but I want to say that I could talk about my existence for hours. I’m using a broad term because I want it to include the past, present, and future. I’d like to talk about what I can remember as a kid, my regrets, and just reflect on how I’ve changed and grown for better and for worse. My current worries, my hopes for the future, what I like and dislike about myself, and definitely things I like right now. I like to think about the future a lot which is nice and troublesome.

Q: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

A: I would absolutely travel around the UK because I love the green there. Living in Texas and seeing dark oak green, dead yellow grass, and the flat land has me craving for the brighter green hills and fields of the British countryside and their nature. I have the Lake District, Scottish Highlands, and Sussex during April (to see the bluebells bloom) on my mind.

Q: What’s a book or movie that has had a significant impact on your life?

A:  I’m not quite sure about this but I’ll say it would be Grave of the Fireflies…. it’s really depressing. The first time I watched it was when I was really young so I rewatched it a few years ago and bawled my eyes out for a couple of days. It’s like a reminder to be grateful and acknowledge the suffering of other people, especially the consequences of war. It’s mostly a humble reminder to me.

Q: What’s your favorite way to spend a weekend?

A: Sorry that I’ll answer this in three ways but I like to spend my weekend either staying in my room and spending time with my phone & laptop, actually engaging in a hobby (drawing, crocheting, or embroidery), or I could definitely spend it with a friend.

Q: Do you have any hidden talents or hobbies that few people know about?

A: The newest hobby that I’ve picked up (a year ago) is embroidery. I’ve told most of my friends but well…. I haven’t really started yet. I did do a little but I wouldn’t count it because it was just putting in random thread and not an actual piece. I will start soon though.

Q: What’s your favorite childhood memory?

A: My favorite childhood memory would have to be from any time I had spent with my two close friends from 6th grade since I credit them for helping me become the person I am today. If I had to choose a specific moment though…. I guess it would be when we went out for the 2020 New Year or went to karaoke to celebrate our 2nd anniversary as a trio.

Q: If you could have dinner with any historical figure, who would it be and why?

A: I think I’d have dinner with… Makoto Iwamatsu. He’s the original voice actor for Uncle Iroh from ATLA. I think it would be nice to share a meal with him and I guess I’d ask him about his role in the series. I’m worried I won’t have anything else to say afterward, but I think I’ll ask about his career.

Q: What’s something on your bucket list that you hope to accomplish someday?

A: I really really want to go hiking (without dying/going missing, of course). I want to hike all over the world. Washington, Colorado, Canada, Britain, New Zealand, Austria, Switzerland, etc. I hope I choose the right hiking shoes to wear.

Q: What’s a skill or hobby you’ve always wanted to learn but haven’t had the chance to yet?

A: GARDENING! I want to learn how to garden so I can be self-sufficient and earth-friendly. I want to plant both vegetables and flowers. I want a lot of flowers so my house can look beautiful (and then I can brag some more).

Q: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received, and how has it influenced you?

A: Do what makes you happy and proud of yourself. This is more like my advice to myself. I don’t want to lose my morality, so I’d like it if I was not swayed by money. I also tend to be hard on myself, and as mentioned before, thinking about the future can be daunting. I also don’t like having regrets. I kind of have/had a savior complex, but now I realize that I have to worry about my life first.