Speech and Debate Rocks the House in Spring Woods Meets

Time to Snack Leah Ghebrelul, Abigail Nguyen, Karen Landaverde, Sean McClain, and Sochi Egbune take a snack break after finishing their preliminary rounds. While the other schools ordered pizza and deli, Goldish sufficed for these students. “I should probably carry cash next time,” Egbune said.

Speech and Debate took part in two TFA tournaments held at Spring Woods High School on September 29 and 30, On the first day, plenty of rewards were given; in Novice Congress, Oyinkansola Adeyemi, Maryam Al Gailini, and Syed Ali took the top three placements. Moreover, Shalom Akinkunmi was a semi-finalist in Varsity Extemp, and Maryham Al Gailini and Sophia Ghebrelul were semi-finalists in Novice Extemp. On the second day, Lourine Mokoro placed third in Humorous Interpretation, Oyinkansola Adeyemi placed second in Novice Congress, Shalom Akinkunmi was a finalist in Varsity Extemp, Maryam Al Gailini placed second in Novice Extemp, Sarah Abi Saab was the top speaker in Varisty WSD Debate, Ifetayo Taiwo got third in speaker awards for Novice Public Forum, and she was also a finalist with her partner Amy Nguyen. With the next tournament coming up at the end of October, Speech and Debate continues to prepare after school.