Three in Alief Named National Merit Semifinalists

Showcasing their achievement, Senior Tuan Le and Kevin Guo receiving their certificate of Board Recognition.

The National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC) revealed the semi-finalists for the National Merit Scholarship on September 13, including three from Alief.

Tuan Le and Kevin Guo from Kerr and Joshua Omeje of Hastings were recognized at the Alief ISD board meeting Sept. 19.

The National Merit Scholarship Program provides academically gifted seniors with the opportunity to win one of 7,140 prizes totaling over $28 million. A total of 1.3 million juniors entered for the 2024 National Merit Scholarship program by taking the 2022 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test, which served as an initial screening of the participants. The semi-finalists represent less than one percent of all high school seniors in the United States, with only 16,000 students making the cut.

The awardees of the 2024 National Merit Scholarship will be revealed in four nationwide news releases beginning in early April and ending in July.