Bolting, Kerr grads honored at school board meeting

Steven Bolting and two Kerr graduates, Andrea Negri and Izabel Hlayhel, were honored at a board meeting held on August 31 at the Alief Administration Building.

Recipients of special recognition were announced Wednesday for the annual board meeting. Awards were given to seven individuals.

Among them was Kerr High School teacher Steven Bolting, who was recognized by the board for receiving the Inspiration Award by the University of Texas at Dallas’s Erick Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science. Nominated by his former students, Bolting was recognized for motivating and inspiring future computer scientists.

Hastings High School teacher Andrea Negri, class of 2005 and daughter of journalism teacher Laura Negri, was recognized for being one of the first recipients of the Texas Association of Journalism Educators Pathfinder Award. Appreciated for her accomplishments in Journalism, she plans to continue teaching Hastings newspaper and yearbook staff.

Izabel Hlayhel, Class of 2006 and Elsik Ninth Grade Center teacher, was named Houston Area of Association for Bilingual Educators Secondary ESL Teacher of the Year and will move onto state competitions.