Love on a Budget: Cheap and Free Valentine’s date destinations around Houston

It’s that time of year again-roses for sale on every block, chocolates overflowing on every store shelf, dinner reservations at every upscale restaurant in town, and every broke high school student wondering how he or she is going to impress that special someone without breaking the bank. So while love may be in the air this Valentine’s Day, money is probably not in many pockets. In order to help out with that, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best deals around town.

Enjoy live musical performances in City Centre

Price: Free

Location: City Centre Plaza, 800 Town and Country Boulevard

Houston, TX

Time: Thursday-Sunday, every evening

City Centre’s bright lights, flowing fountains, and live entertainment create a romantic setting no matter the season. While the shopping and dining can be a little on the pricier side, there’s a way to make use of this romantic scenery without breaking the bank. Take a romantic stroll through the plaza at night or enjoy free live music in the evening.

Take a walk through the Cullen Sculpture Garden

Price: Free

Location: Montrose Boulevard at Bissonnet Street

Houston, Texas 77006

Time: Open daily, 9 a.m.–10 p.m.

An extension of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, The Lillie and Huge Roy Cullen Sculpture Garden is an always-free tranquil experience for all ages. The garden features a number of sculptures by well-known artists of the 20th and 21st century and remains open even during the later hours of the night. Its many pieces serve as great conversation starters and a long walk through the garden can be an excellent backdrop for deep conversation.

Plan a Day-Trip to the Contemporary Arts Museum

Price: Free

Location: 5216 Montrose Boulevard, Houston Texas 77006

Houston’s Museum District holds several well-established museums, some of which offer free admission daily to the public and others that offer free admission during certain days and times. The Contemporary Arts Museum is one of the always-free museums in Houston and is a great experience for all, single or not. The museum features the work of internationally-recognized artists but also introduces fresh, new and emerging artists and is definitely a place where conversation can flourish.

Have a picnic in any one of Houston’s many parks.

Price: Free

Location: Varies

There’s no better way to get to know a person better than through a good, old-fashioned conversation. A picnic in any one of Houston’s many parks provides the perfect environment for some real dialogue. Pack a basket of home-made snacks and sandwiches and spread out on the green grasses of Discovery Green, Eleanor Tinsley, Oyster Creek, or Hermann Park. Or, if you’re looking for more of a quiet and intimate experience, try some of the more low-key parks around town like Menil Park, Houston Arboretum and Nature Center, Houston’s Tranquility Park, and the tranquil Japanese Garden located within Hermann Park. Any of these locations are sure to provide environments that will bring any two people closer to nature, and perhaps even each other.