Recognizing the right to defend oneself

On New Year’s Eve, an 18-year-old mother from Oaklahoma shot and killed an intruder to protect her 3-month-old baby, only less than a week after the baby’s father died due to cancer.

However, she was not charged of commiting a crime because while holding 2 guns to the door, Sarah McKinley was on the phone and had contacted the police requesting for permission to shoot the two intruders, Dustin Stewart and Justin Martin, in order to protect her family.

She got her permission.

Martin was shot dead while a dispatcher was sent to McKinely’s house. The whole ordeal was caught on tape.

Many are questioning the whole morality of this. When is it OK to kill a human and when is it not?

According to Detective Dan Huff of Blancard Police, “you’re allowed to shoot an unauthorised person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force.”

Personally, I fully agree with McKinley’s course of action. Hey, there’s a reason the phrase “survival of the fittest” exists. Had she not shoot the guy, her baby might’ve been found dead and she could have been kidnapped, tortured, murdered, raped, who knows? Would you not have done the same?

Normally, I’m a very peace-loving humanitarian and pacifist, but this is different. This is about protecting your loved ones no matter what.

In addition, it’s not just protecting your family and yourself, but it’s your home. There’s no law that says you HAVE to let anyone enter your home. It’s called privacy and going against that is called personal invasion. And even if there was a law saying that, that would be absolutely ridiculous and illogical.

There’s really no point about hesitating to forfeit your compassion for humanity (Though I’d say Martin had none.) because in doing so, you’re really not helping humanity at all.

I mean, take what into consideration of what McKinley said.

“I wouldn’t have done it, but it was my son. It’s not an easy decision to make, but it was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn’t going to be my son. There’s nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child.”

However, she was not charged of commiting a crime because while holding 2 guns to the door,  Sarah McKinley was on the phone and had contacted the police requesting for permission to shoot the two intruders, Dustin Stewart and Justin Martin, in order to protect her family.

She got her permission.

According to Detective Dan Huff of Blancard Police, “you’re allowed to shoot an unauthorised  person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force.”

Personally, I fully agree with McKinley’s course of action. Hey, there’s a reason the phrase “survival of the fittest” exists. Had she not shoot the guy, her baby might’ve been found dead and she could have been kidnapped, tortured, murdered, raped, who knows?!

Would you not have done the same?