Let’s Unite: Earth Day contributions to fighting global warming

Photosynthesizers
Juniors Montrell Hardy, Elvis Tran, and Vipash Nanda water the plants they have planted with The Photosynthesizers Club. Photo courtesy Agha Medhi Mirza

Everything humans need in order to thrive is provided by our only source of survival: Earth. A place we take for granted over and over again. To pay more importance to our planet, Congress created Earth Day.

Earth Day should be seen as a day to show our gratitude and admiration for the natural resources we are provided with; however, most of us don’t recognize its importance.
Over the years technology has become a big influence in our lives, so we no longer pay importance to the natural beauty the Earth holds for us. We have become more self-centered and stopped giving back to the planet.

As children, we would make drawings of our friends and family holding each other’s hands as we all stood around the world together and united.

We grew up training to carry out small acts of kindness on Earth Day, by planting a tree or going to pick up trash from a park. These customs slowly faded as we got older, lessening the observance’s value.

The purpose of Earth Day shouldn’t be forgotten as the world modernizes, but instead should grow as the planet gets older.

Though some people have recognized the huge importance of nurturing the Earth, the majority play a bigger part in hurting it.

This year, on April 22, marks our planet’s 50th Earth Day. We should take a moment that day to appreciate the environment’s beauty, because at this rate we don’t know how bad the climate could get in the future.

We see the damage being done now — pollution, animal endangerment, forest fires — and acknowledge global warming’s existence, but we continue the harm with our actions.
Earth Day shouldn’t be the only day we stand up to global warming; we should make it a habit to plant a tree every now and then, or to use less fossil fuels every chance we get.
While today we are able to witness many species of animals, ecosystems, and refreshing water, we aren’t certain to have them tomorrow.