Reinventing the chicken sandwich

One of the signs promoting the new McChicken sandwiches: the Cheddar Jalapeño and the Cheddar Onion.

McDonald’s has chosen Houston to be one of the test markets for their two new items, the Cheddar Onion McChicken and the Cheddar Jalapeño McChicken. When I first saw these two items promoted on the billboard, I didn’t really know what to think. I was a bit interested in how the sandwiches would taste, but the thought of onions and cheese put together surprised me. I never thought anyone would make a sandwich like that.

Then one morning I was checking through the mail and saw coupons from McDonald’s, offering one of the spicy McChickens for free. So then that little voice came into my head and said, “Hmm, what the heck? What do I have to lose?” 

Even though I was scared of both the jalapeños and onions,  I feared the jalapeños more, so I tried the Cheddar Oni0n McChicken. 

When I finally had the sandwich in my hand, I opened the McChicken wrapper. The sandwich didn’t look like what had been on the billboard I saw earlier. The bun pretty much took over the entire sandwich. I had to look underneath the buns just to check to see if I had the right sandwich.

The Cheddar Onion McChicken consisted of a chicken patty covered with a slice of white cheddar cheese, with small strips of lettuce sprinkled with “caramelized” onions, all in inside a hamburger bun.

I was reluctant to try the sandwich, but there have been other fast-food items I have been hesitant to try that had turned out really good. So I took the first bite.

Ugh.  I should have slapped myself the moment that voice came and persuaded me to taste that thing called a “sandwich.” Yeah, it may have cost me no money, but it did come with a price: my stomach lining

The only thing I could really taste was onions and a little bit of the chicken patty. Hoping to get more into the sandwich, I took another bite.  This bite was a lot more appetizing than the last. I was able to taste more of the ingredients.  

Other than the over-powering onions, the chicken patty was dry but surpassed my low expectations. I wasn’t able to taste the white cheddar cheese  at all, even after a couple of more bites. The lettuce didn’t really compliment the sandwich, either, as there were barely five small strips presented on the sandwich.

About half of the sandwich was left before I finally threw it away.

Overall, the Cheddar Onion McChicken was better than what I expected, but was definitely not worth the price I paid for it.