Understanding Dual Credit

POSSIBLY UPGRADING Juniors and sophomores had the option to take a seminar for dual credit from Monday, January 29, to Tuesday, January 30, 2023. In which they discovered the drawbacks and benefits of enrolling in a dual credit course as well as its prerequisites and exclusions. Rebekah Draper, a sophomore student, considers pursuing dual credit classes to avoid the time-consuming coursework of AP classes, despite the fact that it may seem frightening and unquestionably simple. “I’m considering taking dual credit since I see it is as a chance to save money and earn broth college and high school credit, while having the bonus of it being online,” Draper said.

From Monday, January 29, 2023, to Tuesday, January 30, sophomores and juniors were granted an opportunity to attend a seminar for dual credit, hosted by a staff member and librarian, Paula Murray, during the first 15 minutes of the first, second, and third periods. Murray gave a presentation on everything to know about taking dual credit for those interested in its details. She explained that dual credits were online college-level classes taught by HCC professors and once one passes the class, the credit applies to high school and towards college hours, both needed to graduate. Dual credit is free for Alief students, but each course would be $65, if not a student.

The requirements to take a dual credit class are that one must have completed 10th grade and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Anyone with less than 3.0 may take an elective course for their semester and earn at least a B (80%). To stay in the dual credit class, one must maintain 2.0 or higher dual credit classes, and not take more than two courses per semester.

“Dual credit is not easy, get out of AP card. Many people think that dual credit is just an easier version of AP, but it’s not. I advise you to think about your strengths,” Murray said. “If you’re good at English, then take dual credit English, but don’t take a dual credit class thinking it’ll be easy.”

Murray advises that those who are interested in taking dual credit over the summer should think wisely about how they will manage their time.

“When you’re taking a dual credit course during the summer, you should take into consideration that you are going to have to take an entire HCC class in 5 weeks,” Murray said.

“Dual credit is not easy, get out of AP card. Many people think that dual credit is just an easier version of AP, but it’s not and I advise you to think about your strengths,” Murray said. “If you’re good at English, then take dual credit English, but don’t take a dual credit class thinking it’ll be easy.”

Ms. Murray advises that those who are interested in taking dual credit over the summer should think wisely about how they will manage their time.

Currently, the dual credit courses available are as follows: US History, Government, English III, English IV, College Algebra, Economics, Astronomy, Environmental Science, Psychology, Music History, Sociology, Art Appreciation, and Public Speaking.

The procedure to take dual credit is followed by a paper of instructions given by Ms. Murray, it follows steps on how to sign up for HCC classes and how to enroll. But even after signing up for classes, the dual credit class must be approved by a counselor during course selection, and if a student would like to drop a dual credit class or change it, their schedule change must be approved by a counselor. Each student taking dual credit will receive one study hall period during the school day, and in that period, students are expected to work interdependently on their dual credit class.

Having found a new stand view and understanding of dual credit classes, sophomore student, Sara Guerroudj, is more confident in taking dual credit classes.

“I learned the prerequisites to taking dual credit classes and what it takes to keep taking them. Though it added a bit of pressure to me and made me more cautious,” Guerroudj said. “It made me thoroughly think through the decision to join and if I do, I will need to be fully focused and understanding of the position I’m in.”