Hadiqa Memon’s -30-

Journalism? Wait, that has to do with writing, right? That was me at the beginning of freshman year. I did not know what journalism was. I just remember signing up for Journalism I. After taking the class spring term of freshman year, it was time for me to decide: newspaper or yearbook? Since I enjoyed designing, my obvious choice was yearbook. But my friends Nadia and Sophie encouraged me to join newspaper. I am not the greatest writer, but joining newspaper was by far the best decision I have made.

We always had the inside scoop and made sure to cover as many school-wide events possible. It may seem like a hectic lifestyle, running around getting quotes and coming up with stories, but we still managed to throw some of the largest potlucks. Trust me, when I say large potlucks, the newspaper staff knows how to party hard. At first glance, you might wonder what happens behind the close doors; but let me tell you one thing; it is not like any other class at Kerr. We decide our own assignments, and unlike other classes, our work is displayed to the entire school.

To a regular student, the newspaper is just a magazine to casually flip through whenever they had free time, but there is so much more that goes into the making of a newspaper. From thinking of good stories to designing attractive pages to making sure enough ads are sold so that everyone can get a free copy, printing a newspaper is a struggle. But, when it is all over, when the paper arrives and I see everyone enjoying it, that feeling is priceless.

For me, the most memorable moment would be when we switched from tabloid to newsmagazine style. It was different, it was harder, but it was worth it. Being the design editor, I was glad we made the change. This year, we made Kerronicle take an active role in our school. From Facebook to News Flush, we worked hard to gain readership, because at the end of the day it was our job to help keep the student body informed. We are a team, and everyone on the staff made sure to grab every opportunity they could get to spread the news as fast as we could. Newspaper has developed into a really tight-knit organization that I am proud to say I am a part of.

Newspaper has helped me gain skills that are not found in a classroom environment.  It has helped me realize the importance of team work and deadlines. It has broadened my understanding of leadership. It made me get out of my shell and enabled me to hold a conversation with practically anyone. Furthermore, It built my writing, graphic and design skills.

It has been a great four years. I have met some of the funniest, craziest, most sociable people. While all great things must eventually come to an end, I feel that we have all left our trademark: whether it is Jason’s snarky personality, Phil’s horrid, but yet hilarious puns, Phat’s sushi, Nadia’s hijab tutorials and corny jokes, Anh’s amazing photo skills, Durand (Koala’s) shipping blog, Alyssa Squared’s food reviews, Julie’s News Flush, Julia’s vector skills, Jeff’s ability to upgrade the entire website, Amy’s design skills, Diana and Yen’s awesome writing, Sophie’s Twix-fix, Malenie’s Gracie Gold characteristics, and Mrs. Negri’s awesomeness as an advisor. And this is just a list of a few people out of the many people that have given newspaper its appeal.

Now that I look back, I had some of the greatest laughs in the journalism room. Running around the school and at UIL, the newspaper staff has given me some of the best high school memories. Even if we all go our separate places, newspaper will always be the bond that brings us together. So underclassmen, good luck and keep the fun going. Writing this 30 was the hardest part about newspaper; but now that I have written it, I have learned that it is hard to say goodbye to things you love, so instead see ya’ later.