Ms. Samuel Checks Out

Yet another unexpected departure

From helping students make their morning coffees to helping them find resources for their next project, library assistant Retina Samuel finds even the most simple interactions with the students endearing. But after eight years of these light-hearted encounters,  Samuel is ready to move on. 

After many years at the library counter, Samuel has made numerous core memories from her time at Kerr. 

“I was here with the parent involvement program,” said Ms. Samuel. “Kerr was one of the schools I was at, [along with] Alief Early College, Hastings, ninth grade, and in high schools. Evidently, the young lady working in the library left and moved on. They asked me if I was interested in working in the library full time and if I wanted to be just stationary in one school rather than constantly running. I did, and I ended up here at Kerr High School.”

Even though Ms. Samuel had originally worked in the school district as a family community liaison before working in the library, she quickly began to love the environment here, especially the fine arts that students work hard to showcase. 

“Honestly, I will miss interacting with the students,” said Samuel. “I love you all, you know, the students are really nice. And I love the theater. I love orchestra. I love the jazz band. I love the marching band. So anything they’re doing in the evenings, I’ll be here at Kerr to still support the students and see the kids do their thing.”

Samuel’s love for the school’s students and clubs is evident. Although she has plenty of favorite memories from her time here, Homecoming Week will always stand out. 

“I always loved the Homecoming Weekend,” said Samuel. “I love the way the band parade around the field and play all the students to cheer. Everybody just kind of follows the staff. Everybody’s out in the hall just kind of enjoying the band and the homecoming festivities. So that’s one of my favorite things.” 

But as this path comes to a close and a new one opens. Samuel will soon be working at Hastings High School.

“I’ll be working in the College and Career Center helping kids with college, college research, scholarship research, just kind of figuring out what they want to do,” said Samuel. “So like what Mr. Gilbert could do here, help the students just to college research and scholarships.”  

The memories of bitter morning coffee and furiously searching for books will always last. As Samuel wraps up her time here, the relationships built with students in the past eight years will linger.