Myths and Facts: A Guide to Kerr High School

The science center is the only center that does not permit MP3 players.
Myth.
“This is not true,” science teacher Clarissa Caro said. “We have various opinions, so it really depends on the teacher.”

Spanish teacher Michelle Zapata has a twin.
Fact.
“I’m older only by five minutes,” Zapata said. “We’re both about equal, so I can’t really say which is better.”

Kerr’s doors open for students at 6 A.M.
Myth.
“The students are allowed to come in at 6:30,” secretary Valerie Erwin said. “That’s when the custodians open the door, but Nurse Wiley and Mr. Freeman sometimes let the students in early.”

The building was originally the headquarters of a bank called University Savings and Loan.
Fact.
“After they went bankrupt, O’Donnell [Middle School] was constructed,” librarian Jean Wu said. “A few years later, Kerr was able to use this facility.”

The temperature is lowered for TAKS week and special testing days.
Myth.
“This is absolutely false,” principal Greg Freeman said. “We do not adjust the air conditioner based on test days.”

Kerr High School is modeled after Bishop Caroll High School, a private school in Canada.
Fact.
“A committee traveled in April of 1993 to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, to see their school and observe the details,” Wu said.

A student on campus is only 12 years old.
Myth.
“To my awareness, there are no students below the age of 13,” registrar Rebecca Gazaway said. “It has been a while since we’ve had a student under the age of 12.”

Only three staff members on the active roster have been working at Kerr since its opening.
Fact. 
Social studies teacher Michael McGuckin, paraprofessional Lee Lindsay-Bryant, and librarian Jean Wu are all in their 17th year.
“It’s outstanding to be here for so long,” said Bryant. “It’s definitely convenient to be working here because I like the staff and it’s close to my home.”

English teacher and 2011 teacher of the year Roger Martin beats up students with his meter stick during seminars.
Myth.
“Not yet… so that’s definitely a myth,” Martin clarified. “I would be fired if I did.”

English teachers Ayn Nys and Sarah Urban claim to be witches after school.
Fact.
“This is absolutely true,” Harry Potter fanatic Nys said. “I’m a witch because it’s my calling. This is why we study the Salem Witch Trials.”
Fellow Potter enthusiast Urban acknowledges her supernatural afterschool activities. “I’m a witch for the better of society,” Urban said. “I didn’t choose this path; it chose me.”

The campus includes a bowling alley and a swimming pool, but they are hidden from the students.
Myth.
“I can’t say it’s true, but I can’t say it’s not,” Science teacher Eric Dunlap said. “But there’s been talk.”

Kerr’s team of custodians consists of six members.
Fact.
At the moment there are a total of seven members with the addition of Armando Martinez. However, Juanita Rivera will retire at the end of the school year.

In a few years, Kerr will be transformed into Taylor’s Ninth Grade Center.
Myth.
“As far as Mr. Freeman and I know, there is no talk of Kerr becoming Taylor’s ninth grade center anytime soon,” assistant principal Kim Mathis said.