The Principal’s Principles

In the hierarchy of authority, both official and unofficial, there’s no doubt that Principal Greg Freeman is on top. With his subtle saunter, quiet demeanor and ever-present coffee cup, Freeman roams the halls watching staff and students. For many students, the question remains: what does a principal really do?

“I make sure that everything runs smoothly so teachers can do their job and students can do their job,” Freeman said. “The biggest thing I do is remove barriers to build accomplishment and goals as best I can. I think my job is to, if people have ideas or want to do things, trying to make those things happen. People have great ideas if you give them the chance.”

His main duty is to deal with the politics required to run a school properly, and make sure the student body’s wants and needs can be addressed properly.

“Staff and students have great things that they want to accomplish,” Freeman said. “I’ve got to make sure that it fits into the big picture of where we’re heading.”

Though being the principal of an independence-driven school like Kerr may not seem like hard work, to Freeman, the job has its distinct pros and cons.

“The biggest benefit is the students themselves; it’s a great group to work with,” he said. “The negative is dealing with all the business trivia, the paperwork, the issues that come up that really have nothing to do with the good things that happen at Kerr. But [they are] things I have to take care of in order for everything to function.”

Many of Freeman’s responsibilities require hours at the computer, analyzing data and reviewing reports. But students most often see him in the halls and in classrooms, which may cause them to wonder: why does it seem he is he always walking around?

“There’s several reasons. One is that I enjoy being out; I don’t like sitting behind a desk; I can’t sit very long,” Freeman said. “I enjoy being out and seeing the staff and student doing their thing out there; it’s amazing to me. The work the kids do, whether it’s art, science, math, even theatre, it doesn’t matter. Listening to them practice in the hall; orchestra, band, choir. When you’re out and around, you get to hear and see things that really inspire you.

“Plus, being out and around, if people have issues or concerns or questions they have access to me, whether it’s a student or staff. They can talk to me and they don’t have to come to my office where it feels real official. We can just talk, and I enjoy that; I enjoy chatting about anything and everything.”