Staff Feature: Q&A with Jan Kolk

Jan+Kolk
Jan Kolk

Jan Kolk is the campus interventionist, working with students who are struggling to pass classes. She is married and has two adult children.

Question: What would be the hardest thing for you to give?

Answer: “The hardest thing for me to give up would be my family because everything I am and everything I do has come from my family, my choice of what I do with my life to be a teacher came from my parents who were both educators. What drives me is my husband and my children, I want to be successful for them. I can’t imagine having to give them up. I can’t imagine being able to survive without having the support that my family gives me to help me be the person I am.”

Q: How do holidays work with your family?

A: “I live a long way away from my family. When it comes to holidays we travel, well drive and our children will join as at those places. We don’t always have a chance to see each other. We have been doing this for 30 years.”

Q: Was it hard for you to cope with your children leaving for school?

A: “Oh yeah. They are your kids and they are wonderful, and I love the opportunity to interact with them as adults. You watch them from little kids to teenagers and then they go off to college. They become really cool people, it is wonderful as a parent to be able to interact with your child as an adult. There are still things that they do as what they did when they were 2.”

Q: Did you ever want any more children?

A: “There earth is only so big and it can only handle so many people and I figured I could replace my husband and me I but not add to the population.”