Alief district announces bad weather make up days

Due to a storm on January 24, and another on January 28, the Alief District closed.

According to Superintendent H.D. Champers, the District has set aside and will use the bad weather makeup days on Friday, April 28, and Monday, May 26. Students will need to attend school on Good Friday and Memorial Day, respectively.

Below is an excerpt from a letter sent by the Superintendent announcing the news.

“As we all know, we will have to make up the days that we missed by using the built-in bad weather days included in the school calendar each year. For the 2013-2014 school year, the designated make-up days are April 18 and May 26. These days will be use to make up the days missed on Friday, January 24, and Tuesday, January 28, so please adjust you school calendar to reflect these changes.”

The district can ask for waivers in which students do not need to make up the time, but waivers are only granted on special occasions, according to Principal Greg Freeman. An example would be when the schools were closed two years ago for an extended amount of time due to a hurricane.

If a waiver is obtained or if any other changes are made, they will be announced as soon as possible.

For more information on makeup days and bad weather days, contact Freeman.

For the full letter from Superintendent Chambers, click here.