Students register to vote

First-time voter Jose Hernandez is dedicated to participating in the November presidential election.

“The registration was really simple and I feel great knowing that I put in my vote, knowing that even if it has a very minute effect, it still contributes,” said Hernandez, a senior. “I do think it’s important for every citizen to vote because if you do not vote and give the electoral colleges your opinion, then you have no right to be criticizing whoever becomes president.”

The presidential election will be held on Tuesday, November 6. Voters must meet the requirements and register by October 9.

Only citizens who are U.S. residents and are 17 years old and 10 months can register. Additional requirements include not being a convicted felon unless a sentence is complete and not declared mentally incapacitated by a court of law.

Those eligible can visit a voter registration site including any state agencies and Harris County Tax Offices, such as:

• Texas Department of Public Safety
  • Texas Health and Human Services Commission
  • Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services
  • Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services
  • Texas Department of State Health Services
  • Any marriage license office of the county clerk

The Harris County Tax Office is located at 16715 Clay Rd., Houston, Texas, 77084.

The application online from the Harris County Tax Office is available in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Chinese. Voters can also call in to request an application at 713-368-8683.

For more information on how to register or make changes to the names or addresses on the voter registration records, visit the Harris County Tax Office website .

Rock the Vote, an organization that encourages young people to vote, has created a video with celebrities including Miranda Cosgrove, Vinny Guadagnino, Miley Cyrus, Neil Patrick Harris, and many more to promote awareness of voter registration’s deadline. The video can be found at www.rockthevote.com or here on Yahoo! News.