Eating healthy and exercising: health goes mainstream

Hitting the gym and going on diets are trending in today’s society in an attempt to live a healthier lifestyle. Everyone seems to be hopping on the health bandwagon and for good reasons too.

More than one-third of Americans are obese, a staggering number that doubled since the 1970s, according to Center for Disease Control and Prevention. As a result, lately pop culture has been focusing on being healthier rather than simply being skinny. Television shows such as The Biggest Loser, a reality television show that features obese people competing for prizes by losing weight, has helped impacted the public’s attitude toward their own health.

Junior Tiffany T. faced the exact same issue with her weight and health. While genetics played a role in her high blood pressure, being medically diagnosed as obese last spring was also a huge factor. Eventually Tiffany decided to take charge of her life and head in a new direction.

“I decided to lose weight because at that time there were a lot of issues in my life that I couldn’t control, but I was in full control of my health and body so I took advantage of that,” Tiffany said. “It just felt nice knowing I had the power to make a big change in my life.”

After committing to exercising and eating healthier, Tiffany has lost over 40 pounds and her blood pressure has stabilized. Thai continues her new direction to keep up the success that she has accomplished.

“I work out every day at the gym and home workouts, but I run outside during the weekends and every day on breaks,” Tiffany said.

However, not everyone seems to be doing it for the health benefits. Freshmen Jennie N. believes for a number of people, it’s not about being healthy; it’s about fitting the cookie cutter that society has deemed perfect.

“I think the media has influence on teens’ self esteems and obsession for being ‘skinny.’ Some people want to become healthier, but the media doesn’t encourage healthy, just skinny,” Jennie said.

Despite the fact that health issues have always been an issue, due to a generation consumed by technology, more people than ever are becoming overweight. Instead of walking down the street, people drive their cars. Teenagers hold in their hand a game console rather a tennis racquet. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10 percent of preschool children and 15 percent of 6 to 19 year olds, can be considered overweight. It has become a problem that society has started to recognize as a major hindrance towards one’s health and lifestyle.

“With the way society is now, [weight issue] is a bigger problem now with all the fast food restaurants and lack of exercise,” sophomore Marc P. said.

Hopefully the health trend will continue staying mainstream for another millennium or two.

“I think it’s a good thing that people are starting to eat more healthy and exercise. Hopefully it won’t become a trend anymore, but rather something permanent,” said junior Kaci T.